We have been spoiled with a bunch of great weather, but spring on the West Coast is notorious for being rainy. It can be such a bummer to be stuck inside when the weather outside is so gross. I mean, I’m not made of sugar and I won’t melt, but I don’t love the rain one bit. I am always happier when I’m warm inside. But what to do with the kids when you’re housebound? Here are some ideas:
- STEM. Do some experiments and explore science, technology, engineering and math. My kid likes to code and he really wants to make slime (does anyone have a good recipe for this? We have been unsuccessful so far. Leave me a comment if you have a recipe that works.) He actually likes math worksheets that we can print out on our home printer.
- Baking. It’s science you get to eat! I need to do this more. The lady at the coffee shop asked Liam if he wanted his cookies warmed up and he said “WHO EATS WARM COOKIES?” and I had to pretend I just found him in the parking lot. Haha. Kids say the darndest things.
- Movie Marathon. I am determined to educate my son about classic movies and the joy of musicals. He thinks people randomly broke into song in the good old days and seems unaware this is a movie genre. I think it’s kind of a magical thing to believe so I’m not going to correct him.
- Colouring. Is there anything more fun? I have some colouring books, but with all the options available online, it’s easy to find something fun to print out (and I learned about this company called Certified Cartridges and they sell new and recycled cartridges and also recycle your cartridges which is really handy when you want to print things but also love on the earth.)
- Kitchen Dance Party. Easily one of my faves. I like to dance it out like I’m Meredith Grey on Grey’s Anatomy. I used to go dancing with my friends but for this stage of my life dancing is just going to have to do.
What do you do on a rainy day? If you feel like doing some colouring, my friends at Certified Cartridges gave me this handy colouring sheet you can print out and get your artistic side going 🙂
Disclosure: My friends at Certified Cartridges sponsored this post. That said, I genuinely don’t enjoy the rain, I do dance badly at home and I do like colouring. I also like the idea of having printer cartridges shipped to my house and knowing that I can get them from a company that cares about the environment as much as I do.